Friday, March 14, 2014

Swim Lessons

So, once Grace turned 3, like seriously the day after, we enrolled her in swim lessons. She took the lessons at the AF Rec Center, and I have to say, her teacher was great, and VERY patient with the little 3-year-olds whom he had (cause let's be honest, they are just crazy sometimes!).

For the first two weeks, Grace really didn't like them. She was nervous and I think scared that mommy wasn't in there with her. In fact, those first couple weeks, I wasn't sure that swim lessons were a very good idea. Maybe my little girl was just a little too little for something like this? But because Boyce taught swim lessons back in the day, he assured me this was great for her, so we kept at it.

And sure enough, things changed dramatically the third week. Grace became comfortable with her teacher and with the process itself (i.e. Mom sits over there on the bleachers), and I even would get there a few minutes early and let her play in the water a little. By the end of her first month of swim lessons, she was having a blast. And Connor and I would just sit on the bleachers. I felt like Connor was "eating popcorn" (i.e. "puffs") while we sat and watched her.


These pictures are less-than-stellar, but they capture the essence of the whole thing!
When it's not their turn, they have to wait on the side. Something not very easy for these little ones. :)
We decided to keep up the momentum and enroll her a second month (she stayed in the Preschool Level 1 class). The first day was a little off, because it wasn't the same teacher. But by the second day, she was good again. The second month, I watched my little girl really learn the skills they teach in the first class, and yay for Gracie, she passed her class the second time around.



We are taking a break for awhile from swim lessons and, per her request, she is taking gymnastics. Can I just say I love having a rec center where all of these options are available (without being too expensive!)?! And let me just say, she is LOVING gymnastics too.

Go my little swimmer! We'll have a ball this summer visiting the pools.

0 comments: