Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Sweet Baby Sister

My sweet baby sister. I had a great conversation with her this evening, and it made me think about how wonderful it is to have sisters. And when I say sweet baby sister - she's actually 25 years old and not a baby at all. She's quite successful. She has her master's degree and working in Portland. Last year, she pulled off a full-time job, full-time school in the evening to finish off some prerequisites for a second Bachelor's degree, bought two puppies to keep herself company (as if she wasn't busy enough!), and still maintained a happy relationship with her boyfriend.

But really, all of these aspirations aside, the most wonderful of my sister's attributes is her love and kindness. She wants to take care of everyone, and often forgets she needs also to take care of herself. My sister loves to laugh; she sees the good in those around her. She strives to live life to the fullest, to take in new experiences - it's her own form of life-supporting oxygen.

Really, my sister is amazing, but after talking to her tonight, I realized she doesn't think she is amazing. She sees all her weaknesses, and it makes me sad. After a wonderful General Conference weekend, I was reminded that all of us are amazing, and unfortunately it's just Satan who wants to and often does tear us down.

To my sister, and to all of us who are struggling and discouraged, I am reminded of the quote by Nelson Mandela:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God."

Sis, I know you know that life can be turbulent and overwhelming. Don't try to go it alone. Rely on those of us who love you. We want to comfort you and help you. It's okay to be weak. It's okay to cry. Heaven knows, it's okay to make mistakes.

Turn to the Lord. I know that seems hard, but He really does know you intricately. He knows you by name. He knows every single big and little desire you have, every hardship you endure, every sadness in which you mourn.

The Lord offers us good advice:

"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good. Yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye shall do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." (Alma 37:37)

And just remember this life is a tiny piece of a bigger journey.

"Ye cannot bear all things now, nevertheless be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours." (D&C 78:18).

I love you sis! You are a hero! You are a daughter of God. Don't ever forget that!









1 comments:

Rinez said...

Absolutely beautiful. Wonderful reminders for us all!